1 Irish philosopher and Anglican bishop who opposed the materialism of Thomas Hobbes (1685-1753) [syn: Bishop Berkeley, George Berkeley]
2 a city in California on the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay; site of the University of California at Berkeley
see also Berkley Berkeley may refer to:
- The Berkeley family of England
- "Anthony Berkeley", a pseudonym of Anthony Berkeley Cox, writer
- Busby Berkeley, film choreographer
- Edmund Berkeley, mathematician and computer scientist, founder of the Association for Computing Machinery and inventor of the first personal computer, Simon
- Elizabeth Berkeley, wife of Charles Noel Somerset, 4th Duke of Beaufort
- Bishop George Berkeley, idealist philosopher
- Humphry Berkeley, politician
- Jon Berkeley, author and illustrator
- Sir Lennox Berkeley, composer
- Michael Berkeley, composer and son of Sir Lennox
- Miles Joseph Berkeley, botanist
- Theresa Berkeley, London madam
- Sir William Berkeley, colonial governor of Virginia
- Vivian Berkeley, Canadian blind lawn bowling champion and 1996 paralympic silver medalist
- Xander Berkeley, actor
- Berkeley Breathed, cartoonist and illustrator
Universities & Colleges
United States of America
- Berkeley, California, a city in the San Francisco Bay Area, University of California site
- Berkeley, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago.
- Berkeley, Missouri, a northwestern suburb of St. Louis
- Berkeley, Virginia
- Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
- Berkeley Lake, Georgia
- Berkeley Township, New Jersey
- Berkeley County, South Carolina
- Berkeley County, West Virginia
PronunciationPlaces in England and Ireland, as well as English and Irish people, called Berkeley are sometimes , while American places named Berkeley are pronounced /ˈbɜrkliː/.
OtherIn addition, Berkeley may refer to:
- Either of two British car manufacturers (see Berkeley cars)
- Berkeley Square (movie), a 1933 movie inspired by the location of the same name.
- Berkeley Square (TV miniseries), a TV miniseries inspired by the movie of the same name.
- ''Berkeley (film), a 2005 film.
- Berkeley (band), Letterkenny Rock band
- A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square (song), a popular British song
- Berkeley DB, an embedded database system by Sleepycat Software
- Berkeley Fast File System
- Berkeley font
- Berkeley Software Distribution
- Berkeley Systems, a San Francisco Bay Area software company
- the Berkeley Pit, a former copper mine in Butte, Montana, the largest Superfund site.
- the Berkeley (ferryboat), a ferryboat from the San Francisco Bay Area and now a museum ship in San Diego.
- the USS Berkeley (DDG-15), named for General Randolph Carter Berkeley, USMC, a Virginian.
- the Berkeley Carroll School, a private school in Brooklyn, New York City.
- the Berkeley Hunt.
- Berkeley Preparatory School, a private school in Tampa, Florida.
- Berkeley Cinemas - A cinema chain in Auckland, New Zealand.
- International House Berkeley - Students Housing and Residence.
Berkeley in Danish: Berkeley (flertydig)
Berkeley in German: Berkeley
Berkeley in Spanish: Berkeley
Berkeley in French: Berkeley
Berkeley in Galician: Berkeley
Berkeley in Korean: 버클리
Berkeley in Ido: Berkeley
Berkeley in Hebrew: ברקלי
Berkeley in Macedonian: Беркли
Berkeley in Dutch: Berkeley
Berkeley in Japanese: バークリー
Berkeley in Polish: Berkeley
Berkeley in Portuguese: Berkeley
Berkeley in Russian: Беркли
Berkeley in Simple English: Berkeley
Berkeley in Finnish: Berkeley
Berkeley in Swedish: Berkeley
Berkeley in Turkish: Berkeley
Berkeley in Volapük: Berkeley